Thursday, June 16, 2011

Just a place to call my home...

So, an idea for an artwork between either of the two places I like or don't like..
As I like the small details and personality of a space, Gore st is perfect for me, and all things I like. Which is why I like it at night, day, rain and sun, as it's not the atmosphere of the space, but the small objects, houses and colour that impact me. I choose to go there, I make it my path home. 
Differing to Lt. Lonsdale, that I avoid, due to it's monotone colour scheme, it's lack of light, being a empty space apart from parked cars and being cold. There is nothing in the space that has personality, nothing has its own unique beauty and the details are boring modern architecture. 

I propose to bring life to this space!

Taking from what I find is one of the most prominent street-scape images of inner suburban Melbourne - the couch on the porch. 


I think there is something prominent in wanting to sit outside your house, and watch the street, but not wanting to interact with further than the porch, behind a fence of your house. Just wanting to be outside, and enjoying the area, but not necessarily for being social, or to interact with other people. It links back to the fundamentals of psychogeography and theories on town planning, on the importance of people wanting to be in a space, and enjoying the space privately or in the public.

Taking inspiration from artist, Giuseppe Roneri, who sculptured and mosaic-ed the three couches on Brunswick Street Fitzory,

image from:http://melbourneartcritic.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/public-art-on-brunswick-st/
and the mosaic couch in Brisbane, on Latrobe Terrace, Paddington, by artist Scott Harrower.


Image from: http://brisdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2010/02/lounging-around-in-paddington.html
Concept: To use the idea of home comfort, and the fascination of sitting outside in your own privacy but in a public space. A series of house features that can be situated in different parts of Melbourne CBD where you would not expect to be 'at home'. The house features could be other sculptured arm chairs or couches, sculptured lamp shades, tiled rugs, community pot plant garden, bookshelves. Having these features in place in small streets and lanes such as Lt. Lonsdale would bring a comfort, and a subtleness of life in such empty places.

No comments:

Post a Comment