Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Leg.

August 2.

Ciao, Comè Stai?

Come March 2010, after I had decided to  holiday quickly in Scotland, I rapidly discovered that what I had to learn and discover could not be completely uncovered in one months holiday. On my last day in Edinburgh and my flight home, I planned a semi-realistic dream with the help of a Italian backpacker and a Irish love seaker. Just short of 4 months later, I was again at a international airport, eager to see how long my notsostringent savings could take me. My life in Brisbane put on hold, with some sadness and a few gin filled evening goodbyes, but hopefully prepared enough to last 5 months.

First leg.

An early flight out of Brisbane to Sydney after a quick dash to Nudgee beach to ignite some memories, then begun my long haul flight to Milan. From here I was slightly nervous to embark on another 5 hour train journey to Umbria, due to my tired self wanting sleep and fearing I would miss my stop. After last years experience of Italrain (stuck on a broken down train for 8 hours), I was also sceptic, however it went pretty smoothly except accidently getting a SUPER expensive high speed train to Florence. The slow rickety one to Perugia with big open windows I suppose made up for my European train dream. Italian trains still have toilets that open up onto the tracks and conductors that come passed and punch your tickets.

Greeted by my dad who is also in Italy with my sister, mum and Grandpa, I began my holiday in the Italian apartment in the Umbrian country side in the small town of Ripalvella. A week and a half here sorrounded by olive groves and grape vines, and fields upon fields of sunflowers, I have been relaxing by the pool in the 30+ heat. The apartment is also sorrounded by others occupied with Danish, Dutch, Italian, American and Irish families & couples.

Days here have been a mix of visiting other Umbrian and Tuscan hiltop towns including Monte Castello Di Vibio, Perugia, Siena, Spoleto, Orvieto and Florence. Each town having it's own uniqueness like Spoleto for its ampitheatre and aquaduct, Orvieto being home to Pincochio and begining every street with a mounted wild boar head. Siena is all one burnt tuscan orange colour, and Florence for leather, Ponte Vichio, the Duomo and David.

I am finding travelling weird in that sometimes it doesn't take a lot to make you forget home and adore the excitement. But also homesickness can overwhelm you and you start to make silly comparisons to the Duomo in Florence being as great as a picnic in New Farm Park. Most of this week I have been slightly sadened by the thoughts of Brisbane, however I'm not allowed to come home until I've seen all of what I wanted to see and what I can afford.

Taking advantage of my dad, we've been eating very Italian with pasta, pizza, risotto (I made!) chingiale, salami, roasted vegetables and gelati. Not to mention the bottles of Chianti and Montechino's and European beer, all being very cheap local prices as we're in the country.

A day and a half left of Leisure in Ripavella until we head to Rome for 4 days and where I prevail and start my solo jaunt. Think of me riding and speeding in a fast EU car, avoiding Italian drivers and eating anti pasti until I update next!
Ciao

1 comment:

  1. i comment, so as to show support for this blogging endeavour. :)

    ReplyDelete